Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

tablets


Kids. I love kids. However their parents parenting style could be questioned. Just yesterday I was in the waiting room to see my doctor when this little boy couldn’t have been more than 3, he was literally still in diapers and was playing with the newest generation of the I pad. I thought to myself really? However it did look like fun but this was just ridiculous. What happened to coloring or reading a child a book? Kids love being read to last time I checked. When reading the shallows I took Carr lightly. I didn’t really always agree with him about certain things. I just didn’t think the internet could hurt us that much. Once we get into high school its almost common place we do research papers and projects and the internet was always one of the first sources used. I just thought Carr was being overdramatic when he talks about how it’s hurting us when we use it to be successful. However now I can almost hear his words and his computer keys clicking the Shallows Two in my mind about what he’d say about this. That little boy was almost being bred on technology. His mother just sat there texting. Even in the stores like toys r us leap frog is making tablets. There is only one little aisle for books at toys r us or Buy Buy baby. Maybe books are disappearing for not only adults but for kids I can’t believe what is going on here. Tablets aimed at little kids. Almost so mommy and daughter could be matching. This concerns me a little bit. Children’s toys are advancing since I was a child not that that’s a harmful thing I just don’t agree that children should be playing with technology and think it’s a toy. If they have that mindset what’s going to happen to them when they get older. Are they going to feel entitled? My second cousin got her own I pad for Christmas and she’s five. That concerns me too. What’s next after an I pad? If technology is advancing at such this quick rate I will probably too be a mother letting my sons or daughters play with tablets. This isn’t such a simple thing as letting them play with the family phone and unplugging it. All kids love to do that. However one has to wonder where does the line begin? Where does it start?   Does it start within families or does it start within society? I can’t even imagine where it does really start but it makes me a little nervous that technology is advancing faster that aprenst and children.
Kelsey Coughlin

10 comments:

  1. This blog topic is really interesting and made me think a bit, it really is crazy to think that the younger generations are being brought up on technology.
    My best friend has a 2 year old and her favorite “toy” is using my or her moms IPhone. I’ve watched her on it and it’s insane she knows how to navigate through the phone to get to games she wants a TWO YEAR OLD! This is mind boggling to me.
    However you bring up a good point whether it starts with families or society, I think both impact it. You see kids no in elementary school with smartphones, iPods and laptops and my question is why? But who is buying them and why. My brother is 13 and has had phone for a year my parents didn’t allow me or my older siblings to get a phone until we were in high school. He’s in middle school and the phones we got were basic while he has texting and what not. Unfortunately I knew that everyone in my brothers grade had one and that’s how they communicated through texting and using the Internet. So I kind of worried about him he already seemed like an outcast, so could him not having one make it worse?
    It’s hard to say, but I do agree with you it’s not necessary to be connected to the world and all this technology so soon in our lives. I grew up by calling my friends asking, “Want to come over and play?” on the house phone. It’s a problem to because so many of our schools provide the newest and latest technology and its hard, to think whether you need to as well to stay connected.
    For another example on societies impact, my cousin who’s in high school in New Hampshire his whole high school class has I pads given to them by school. It seems like its getting really out of hand and what makes it even scarier is the reality is, its going to progressively get worse. Lastly, my point is I believe it’s in societies hands over all, its what’s becoming accepted and expected. Its then the parents decisions whether to accept this reality or try to fight it. I wonder in the years to come these younger and younger generations, what will they be like? Because I already feel technology has taken over my life and it would be hard to live with out especially in college. But for toddlers to be brought up on technology what will they be like in college and high school when they need to sit down and read a book?

    Allison Saffie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up just like that calling my friends for play dates. I visited my sister's school where she teaches it's k-8 and a boy got his ihone taken away. I felt I was in a whole new universe. I also saw a clip in one of my classes also about ipads being used in school. especially for kids with autism. This really made me think of carr. I thought hey if it works and helps the learn great. However kids with autism have trouble socializing in the first place so i couldn't elp but think if it somehow isolates them more.
      kelsey Coughlin

      Delete
  2. I really like your blog, Allison. I found it very interesting to read and I also agree with many things that you are pointing out. I think it's crazy how young children are these days who own cell phones, iPods, or in this case an iPad. There are fewer and fewer books in stores, and more and more technology devices. I agree with you in thinking that technology would be hard to live without, especially in college aswell. This blog entry makes me wonder what's instore for the future generations?

    Michelle Salvati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm scared to think about what's in store not just for me in a few years graduating from college but for when I have kids. They have 3d looking ultrasounds now. i just can't imagine what's going to happen next.
      kelsey Coughlin

      Delete
  3. This is a really interesting post. I especially found this line powerful: "His mother just sat there texting." I am an aunt and I have two nephews and one niece. Whenever I am at some sort of public playground, it truly irks me to see when parents are too wrapped up in technology to be paying attention to their kid. When your child is trying to get your attention, your phone should be the least of your worries!

    However, I think it's awesome to expose children to technology. At the age of 3, my dad had me on the computer. I was taught to use computers as if it were like tying my shoes. I'm a computer science major now, and I see the importance of technology as it relates to helping the world progress. I think it is a great thing to teach the youth how to use technology because these tablets, computers, etc are not going away anytime soon. As a matter of fact, I think they are going to become more powerful in time and it is best to start young and learn these things are nothing to fear!

    Kaitlyn Carcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of it in that light. i think its really cool about tieing shoes. Some kids are visual learners and now there are some many different ways being created for kids to learn things.
      Kelsey Coughlin

      Delete
  4. I think starting at such a young age with some of this technology is ridiculous. Like Kaitlyn said it is important for kids to learn about these things, but I feel there is a time and place for these things and that 3 years old is much too young. Parents need to realize that there children still are learning the basics of life at so young an age, kids need to be outside playing or physically interacting with different toys and objects for them to learn, sitting in front of a screen and playing with that all day could probably hinder their growth and although they are interacting with advanced technology they may potentially become very far behind other children who have grown up learning through exploration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. My mom was always like go outside and learn about the world. i think thats one way kids have to learn about themselves is through play not just through technology.
      Kelsey Coughlin

      Delete
  5. I found this post very interesting. It held my attention the other time, and I just agree with every point you put out, and I too am curious about the future and how the newer generations will turn out.

    -Britney v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I just think wow look at that type of car that can parellell park just by itself. It pulls you in but tevhnology is advancing so fast. I'm just having a hard time keeping up with it.
      kelsey Coughlin

      Delete