Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Possibilites and Limitations of Technologies


            In chapter 10 of The Shallows, Carr quotes “Every tool imposes limitations even as it opens possibilities. The more we use it, the more we mold ourselves to its form and function” (P209). Carr once again brings up an idea that certain new technologies are going to dumb us down and are limiting our knowledge. Yes, I agree that there are both advantages and disadvantages to using certain technologies and I agree with his idea that even with the realm of possibilities some technologies can provide they do also come with limitations of their use. Take the internet for instance, the possibilities of what you can use and find on the web are almost endless, but it’s also has the ability to distract and provide us with easy ways out of getting things accomplished; the so-called “limitations” Carr is talking about. But overall, new technologies have really been quite beneficial for society today despite the limitations they may present. Carr may make a point when he says “the more we use it, the more we mold ourselves to its form and function”. This could be said true for those who frequently use the Internet. Even I myself have found myself so much more dependent on using the Internet for so many things in my day-to-day activity. Schoolwork, contacting people, knowing the weather; there’s just so many useful things about the Internet that if it were to simply disappear, a lot of people would feel lost. Even things such as TV, iPods, smart phones and other types of technologies that are used every day if they were to to simply disappear or not be of use, this would probably cause a lot of distress and feelings of loss for plenty of people. Of course, sometimes I love to get away from my phone or away from the Internet and other technologies for a while and to an extent of the time it offers me a sense of relief. But sure enough after a while I feel this need to get all these technologies back in my possession to make me feel connected again. Sometimes, we become so accustomed and absorbed in the technologies around us we don’t even realize how dependent we really are on them.

-Chelsea Angelosanto

1 comment:

  1. you are so right. my laptop just crashed about a month ago. i used it for school. i didn't notice how dependent I had become to it. I'm now in a race and constantly wondering when I will get my new one instead of having to use the shared house computer.
    kelsey Coughlin

    ReplyDelete