Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, April 30, 2012

E-Reader Vs. Actual Books


In one of Carr’s chapters he discusses e-books and e-readers, such as the kindle or the Nook. Every major tablet designer, as well as phone designer, incorporate some type of e-reader in their product. Amazon sells the Kindle so that people be more likely to buy their books, Barnes and Noble encourages people to buy their ‘new and improved’ Nook. Even phones have the ability to download books and keep them in a virtual library. Everywhere you go you can now have easy access to a book, but is this a good thing?
            People are becoming more and more dependent on technology as it advances and newer, more cool and efficient, products are released. E-readers are pushing people to develop a dependency to electronics more quickly. They also, as Carr mentions, can create a distraction for the reader, causing them to not absorb information as well as they would if it was just them and an ‘old fashioned' paper book. Since most tablets and e-readers have access to the internet people are tempted to check their email, or check on their Facebook to see the latest news amongst their friends. Since they are not focused solely on the book they do not retain the information as well. The same goes for phones. People are tempted to play games and check their Facebook’s, just like on a kindle, but there is also the constant receiving and sending of text messages that accompany most phones nowadays. When I read a book it is to relax. I don’t usually answer my phone or go online. My mother is always raving about how easy it is to use the e-reading app on her iPhone and how I should invest in it. the idea of using my iPhone as a reader bothers me. I don’t want every page I read to be interrupted by someone texting me, or by receiving a Facebook notification. It would defeat the purpose of me sitting down and reading a book to relax and enjoy my time.
            In my opinion, although e-readers can be very useful in situations where you’re on the go, they will never replace paper books. Books are reliable. You can put one down and come back to it years later and still find the page you bookmarked. You can drop them, step on them, even get them wet, and they will still, for the most part, function the way they are supposed to, albeit a little messy. E-readers, like any electronic, has the potential to malfunction. They run out of battery, you can accidently press the wrong key, and sometimes they just plain stop working. You shouldn’t drop your e-reader, or step on it, and getting it wet can really damage it. It’s possible to lose all your e-books by just bumping it wrong. In my mind, e-readers are unreliable and will never take the place of my paper books. I will continue to build by own personal paper book library, not an e-library.

Jessica King

No comments:

Post a Comment