Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Internet Has Not Taken Away Our Ability to Remember

Meagan Cox


In The Shallows, Nicholas Carr talks a lot about how the Internet is interfering with the functions of our brains. From the title to the last chapters, it is obvious that Carr sees the internet as a tool that changes the way we think and do things all together. In chapter nine, Carr goes into this idea even more when he talks about the internet’s effect on our memory. In my opinion Carr goes a little too much into this idea when he describes the functions of different parts of the brain. If I were perhaps a biology or medical student, the information presented by Carr may appeal to me and capture my attention. However, the longevity depth of the descriptions about how our memory works came across to me as confusing, boring, and unnecessary.

In chapter nine, Carr writes about his idea that the internet sort of took away our need for memory. Because the internet is able to store so much information that is so readily available at any point in time, Carr seems to think our brains have gotten used to discarding facts. Though Carr usually views points like this as a negative, he seems to weigh out both sides of this idea because, as he says, with the internet storing so much information for us, our brains are open to store a lot of different information, thus enabling us to be full of much more information. With the Internet serving as a sort of "side memory", our actually memory can store different kinds of information. However, because we are so used to the internet remembering things for us, we may become less capable of using our memory, for if we are letting the internet store most of the facts we need to remember, we may sort of "forget" how to use our memory.

I definitely see what Carr is saying when he presents the idea that our generation may have weaker memories because we rely on the internet to remember so much. Often times, if I cannot remember something, I look it up on the internet. Because I know that I can always look something up if I need to, I do sort of discard the information from my brain, and think about other things. But why wouldn't I? If the internet can store the facts that I can pretty much access at any time, I would rather save space in my head for things that the internet cannot help me with.

Carr seems to think that the internet itself should be held responsible for the lack of memory that people are going to have. However, I am not so sure that can be proven true. Even before the internet, I am fairly sure that people forgot things. I do not think that "forgetting" is a new concept. The only difference in the past and now is that when someone forgets something, they can probably find what their looking for with just a few clicks. Personally, I do not think the internet has taken away my memory, because if I have to remember facts for school, I can. Though some facts are discarded from my brain as soon as I do not need them anymore, some facts still stay with me, not because I try to remember them, but because they are just sort of embedded into my brain. I do not think that it is this generation's memories that are changing, I just think that our generation, like those prior to ours, are choosing to remember something facts and discarding others.

No comments:

Post a Comment