Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Internet Memes


You can find so many things on the Internet that make fun of the Internet.  It's great.  I think Carr would appreciate a lot of these images because they support his ideas.  However, I think it is important to take a closer look at some of these "memes" and think about them.  If the Internet didn't exist, would we find distraction elsewhere?  (All images have been taken from tumblr.com)


It’s true. Realistically, talking to someone you are quite fond of seems much more appealing than working on an assignment.  In this case, I don’t think the Internet is to blame for the problem, though.  My parents grew up in the ‘50s and said they spent hours on the phone; that was their biggest distraction.  The Internet is just another form of communication.



I do very much believe time spent on the Internet can interfere with exercising. It takes a lot of motivation for some people to hit the gym or go for a run (myself included at times).  Browsing the Web may just seem more convenient.  Maybe you tell yourself, “I’ll search exercising routines for the next time I go,” and continue to say the same thing each time you plan to go the gym. I’ve fallen in this trap myself.  However, once again, I don’t think the Internet is the only thing that could distract us from going to the gym.  I’m sure if we didn’t have computers, we would find another excuse.




For some people, the Internet may actually be impacting school, relationships, work, etc. Game addiction is a real thing, and I am sure Internet addiction is real, as well.  I do not think this implies we must blame the Internet for this, though.  Anyone could become addicted to anything.  Although Internet may result in addiction, it doesn’t mean it’s “bad.”  We have to know our limits; we have to know when to sign off for the night. 






Since the Internet doesn’t require much effort to use, I am on the computer before I go to bed.  Does it simulate my mind? Absolutely.  Do I have a tough time getting to sleep? Absolutely.  I’m sure TV could do the same thing, though.  Supposedly, young adults have a faulty circadian clock, which controls sleep cycles. 


Yes, yes, yes, and yes again.  Sometimes, I’ll be talking to a friend on some sort of online chat. When I say “Ah, I need to go,” sometimes he/she will respond with, “but I just need to tell you one more thing." Somehow, one more thing can mean fifty more things. Computers do seem to have a "voice" at times.  Once again, we must recognize our limits.


6 comments:

  1. It's so funny you talk about the internet and exercising because I use the internet to look up new exercises for yoga moves or weight lifting when I don't feel like going to the gym. lol
    kelsey Coughlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Memes. They are funny and completely true. I saw one the other day. It was a picture of an artist in front of his painting and a person looking at it. The person then swipes his finger across the painting (ruining it) and the artist says "No, you can't swipe your finger across to see the next painting." This just goes to show how we relate technology to our everyday lives.

    Chelsea Slates

    ReplyDelete
  3. This entry was very entertaining and the format of it helped me to read the whole thing. It's sad that a lot of these are true.
    Nikki Gaspari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything in this post is hilarious but so true! I catch myself doing these things every day...I can only imagine how much more I could get accomplished if I wasn't texting my boyfriend throughout the day, or how much more sleep I could get if I just put it down instead of chatting. The gym meme is so true too- how much more appealing the gym may seem if we didn't basically live on our cellphones or the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so funny but so true. I wonder how much more free time I could save myself if I didn't live with my phone glued to my hand checking facebook, twitter, or texting my boyfriend. The gym meme I can also apply to myself...sitting on the internet talking with friends I do everyday...why does one hour at the gym seem so unappealing.

    Kaleigh Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can totally relate with "sleep-wake up" meme!! It is really difficult to get up next morning early, when you hadn't have a complete sleep previous night.

    ReplyDelete