Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 4, 2012


Key to Memory
In Chapter 9 of The Shallows, Carr points out that “the key to memory consolidation is attentiveness” (193).  Carr is basically stating that in order for people to retain and store memories, they need to pay close attention and be focused in the moment of learning.  Carr believes that, “storing explicit memories and, equally important, forming connections between them requires strong mental concentration, amplified by repetition or by intense intellectual or emotional engagement” (193).  I couldn’t agree more with Carr.  I believe that in order to store information in our brains, it requires us to pay attention and put forth a little bit of effort.  Our brains don’t do the work for us, we need to coach our brains to learn and store memories effectively.
 I have personal experiences that directly relate to Carr’s beliefs.  In order for me to learn my Anatomy & Physiology notes, I need to strongly concentrate on the material and I need to repeat the material.  If I am not focused even the slightest, I will turn my attention span to something else and therefore not be able to study or learn any material.  Like Carr states, and like how I clearly demonstrate, “the sharper the attention, the sharper the memory” (193).  If I am not paying full attention, I will not get anything out of studying.  If I am paying full attention, I learn the material quickly and easily.  If I do not do repetition of the material, the material will not stick in my head, but go in one ear and out the other.  When studying I need to take a lot of time to learn the material, sometimes I even have to give myself a week to get the material stuck in my head.  Also, when I am studying for any subject, I find it easier to relate the required material to something else that is already stored in my memory.  I often find myself relating anatomy for example, diseases, to people I may know who suffer from that disease.  Not only do Carr and I feel this way, but so doesn’t Eric Kandel who explains, “For a memory to persist, the incoming information must be thoroughly and deeply processed.  This is accomplished by attending to the information and associating it meaningfully and systemically with knowledge already well-established in memory” (193). 
So, Carr, not only laid out facts that I agreed with, but also laid out facts that I could relate to.  All of the information that he states in the paragraphs about retaining information relate directly to me.  I have to pay full attention, be focused, repeat the material over and over again, take time and effort to study, and relate the material to information already stored in my memory.  David Foster, a novelist said, “It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience” (195).  I choose to learn Anatomy & Physiology and other classes’ material, and I choose to construct meaning to the material from personal experience.  It’s crazy how our brains can function relatively in the same way when it comes to studying, retaining knowledge, and storing memories. 
   Michelle Salvati

2 comments:

  1. This makes complete sense! Studying for A&P is hard enough, not to mention when there are tons of distractions. When studying, sometimes I find myself not able to retain the information, even though I have gone over it a millions times. I'm going to have to make sure there are absolutely no distractions next time I try to study and then hopefully I'll retain muchhhhh more info!
    ~Nicole VanKuilenburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this topic relates to all of us as college students. Almost everyday we find ourselves in an environment where we have to devote our time and attention to learn about something. This is also an important skill for life. I know people who are in their eighties who would tell you how they are still learning new things everyday and as a society we all are learning something new as we progress in our own lives.
    -Marty Gray

    ReplyDelete