Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Relaxation

Can you relax on the Computer?

"There is no sleepy Hollow on the Internet, no peaceful spot where cooperativeness can work its restorative magic”. This is one truth that I absolutely agree with Carr on. For me the Internet has never been a place I went in order to help me relax, there is always too much going on in the Cyber world to actually kick back. When I think of relaxing I think of laying back and doing something calming and peaceful. For example, cuddling up on a couch reading a book or watching a movie, taking a tub, going for a walk are just a few things I do when I want to relax. Sometimes, I would rather just lie in bed all day to relax while; neglecting my computer so it just does not interrupt. When an individual relaxes they want to feel like there being repaired after some type of work. Like, just doing nothing in particular is helping calm their brain and body once again putting everything to ease.

Everyone relaxes and has their own definition of down time but for most I doubt the computer is the source of relaxation. There is just always too much happening, and you are always doing something. Your eyes are always wondering over the computers screen, your hands on the mouse constantly clicking away, and your mind just keeps on going. The Internet is full of information, beneficial and useless, but my point is you are continuously intricately thinking. First off you have all the social media sites. These sites are just full of gossip, arguments, and opinions that can get a rise out of you; stirring up all your emotions so you cannot relax. The problem with social media sites is you are getting too wrapped up in somebody else’s life so you cannot sit back and relax in your own. No peacefulness here.

If you are not on a social media site of some kind you are either playing an online game or reading emails. Again, emails can be just like social media sites because you are messaging your friends back and forth about each other’s lives, arguments, and opinions. Perhaps you are even arguing with a friend. This of course is never relaxing. If you are not emailing a friend you probably are dealing with work related issues or money issues. These two possibilities obviously are not very helpful in the area of relaxation.

Lastly, many find themselves online playing some sort of game rather is being Sudoku or World of War Craft. Either way these games also get your emotions, and thoughts going at a fast pace. You will get so worked up relaxing is not a possibility. The word relaxing just makes me think of doing some calm activity, and for me the Internet is never the source of this. I suppose some may like getting themselves going in order to relax but I feel the majority of the population may disagree with that aspect. However, we all have our own definitions of relaxing but mine does not include the computer.


-Britney Villafane

2 comments:

  1. i couldn't agree with you more. I think my computer stresses me out. zsometimes I yell at it like a man eatching a sports game. Computers hurt. They give me neck, eye and back pain from straining to look and sit at one all day.
    Kelsey Coughlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree your point that the internet is no place to go if you want to relax. With the constant updates, and fast-paced spreading of information, it can be hard and frustrating to keep up with. If anything, I stay off the internet in order to relax.

    Meagan Cox

    ReplyDelete