Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, April 30, 2012

Disconnecting From the Net Can Unclutter Your Thoughts

             In Nicholas Carr’s digression called “On the Writing of This Book” right before Chapter 10, he talked about what it was like trying to finish writing his book, The Shallows. He stated that he “struggled in vain to keep [his] mind fixed on the task” (198). The internet was interrupting him constantly and scattering his words and thoughts. He had to temporarily shut down his social network accounts and slow down his email application, checking for new emails less frequently. He said that after a just a little while he started to feel a lot calmer and “more in control of [his] thoughts” (199). He felt more like a human being and his “brain could breathe again.” After describing this in his book, he states that he knows it’s not very typical since he can disconnect easily because of his self-employment. Although I somewhat agree with him, I think he has a good point of bringing awareness to what happened to him and many others who use the internet today so that maybe they can consider how they might want to disconnect, at least for a little while. I have a few experiences that I believe illustrate Carr’s point of disconnecting from the internet making us more focused.

            A few years ago, my sister lost her phone while she was at a club. She was obviously sad, frustrated, and very angry at first, but noticed that she was so much less stressed. She didn’t have to worry about always responding to people online, by text, or by email through her phone wherever she went. She actually enjoyed not having her phone. She felt less cluttered and more in control of her thoughts and what she was doing, which is basically just like Carr’s experience. I think that Carr was definitely onto something with his concept that he keeps bringing up in his book.
            I myself have also felt cluttered and stressed out by the internet, including the present time. I feel like there are so many things going on at once, like getting texts, Facebook updates, emails, links, blogs, Twitter, and many other things. This is added to the stressors of daily life. I notice when I really have to do something like study or do homework and absolutely have to focus, I need to shut my phone off, my computer off, and put them away, out of sight. That’s the only way I can get myself to truly focus on one thing and one thing only. If I do not put those items away, I will be tempted to get distracted easily and go check the notifications on my phone or computer. Yes, the internet is an amazing technology and advancement, helping us with communication, easier learning and searching, and just overall life convenience, but I sometimes wish it would just go away for a little while. I guess I need to learn to ration out my time on the internet, giving myself some time away and not constantly being connected like I usually am.



-Jill Zalewski

No comments:

Post a Comment