Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Technological Advances Equal Frustration


In The Shallows, Nicolas Carr states that “our use of the Net will only grow, and its impact on us will only strengthen, as it becomes ever more present in our lives” (92). This statement is very factual and through my own personal experience I can agree with what he is saying. I received my own personal laptop during Christmas of 2010, that way I would have full internet and Microsoft software access for college. Before receiving my laptop, I would not go on the Net overly, averaging only about five hours per week (much lower than the average today). Once I received my laptop and got it programmed and ready to go, however, that number grew exponentially. Today I would say I average around fifteen hours a week on the internet and that may be being generous. But due to continuing technological advances, internet access is becoming much easier and more convenient to use and get to, which makes it that much more appealing.
 Now in today’s society, “the computer continues to get smaller and cheaper as technology advances” (92). As a result, most cell phones ranging from iPhones, Androids, Droids, etc. all require a data plan that comes with full internet access, making internet access literally in the palm of your hands. On page ninety-two, Carr puts added emphasis that although a laptop was a great invention that allowed the internet to walk outside of a household, it was and still remains a technological inconvenience to carry, care for, and use. These new “pocket-sized” computers pop up an internet browser in a matter of seconds, for any user to roam for an extended period of time.
My personal stance on a “smaller” computer is that I disagree with nearly everything that goes into it due to one main factor; cost. Most cell phone servers, including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc. require a minimum twenty-five dollar service fee per month, which adds up to at least three hundred extra dollars lost every year. I don’t see the point in owning a device that can get me onto the internet more convenient when it will cost me three hundred dollars every year, especially when I already have an efficient laptop at my disposal. Another issue that goes into my personal opinion is how often technology will change or upgrade. Every year, and recently it seems like every month, a new “Droid” cell phone will come out, leading the consumer to want to purchase the new device. Not only is the device well over one hundred dollars just to purchase, but then you have to dump in the service fee per phone. The rapid development of the “newest and latest” technology, to me, is very frustrating, especially when people are spending that much money on personal benefit and not on the truly important things, such as cancer research or medical research in general. As you can see, I prefer not to own the “latest and greatest” technologies. I don’t even own an iPod, let alone an iPhone. I just hope that as technological advances keep increasing, medical advances will begin to increase parallel to it, but actually make a daily impact in our everyday lives.

-Dylan Chisholm

No comments:

Post a Comment