Pages

Total Pageviews

Monday, March 26, 2012

Technology is Our Aid

Christian Lavoie
Technology is Our Aid
            In chapter nine in The Shallows, Carr discusses his thoughts on technology like calculators and the web and what they do to our memory. His beliefs are summarized and very straight to the point. Carr states, “The calculator, a powerful but highly specialized tool, turned out to be an aid to memory. The web is a technology of forgetfulness.” (193) Carr is saying that the calculator is very useful and doesn’t hurt our memory of how to do math. He is also saying that the web does the exact opposite. Carr believes that when we rely on the web to remember things for us we then tend to forget all the things that the web remembers. I have trouble understanding his reasoning, and if I had to guess, I would think that the calculator actually makes us forget more than the web could.
Carr explains his theory scientifically. He states, “The calculator makes it easier for the brain to transfer ideas from working memory to long-term memory and encode them in the conceptual schemas that are so important to building knowledge. The web places more pressure on our working memory not only diverting resources from our higher reasoning faculties but obstructing the consolidation of long-term memories and the development of schemas.” (193) I wish that Carr simplified this statement because I find it a little hard to follow, but I know that he is basically saying that using the calculator allows the brain to use long-term memory and build knowledge while the web does the opposite. I also wish that Carr gave examples of how the web makes us forget any more than a calculator does. If anything, it makes more sense to me that the calculator makes us forget how to do simple math.
Going through elementary school I was taught simple math. I perfected my multiplication table and could do all addition and subtraction problems with the drop of a hat. Once I was dominant in simple math I was handed a calculator and I no longer needed to know those simple math problems. It made no sense to need to know them when I could just use a calculator. My math skills went down the drain and I guarantee a fourth grader probably knows multiplication better than I do now. However, I don’t believe that the calculator is a bad thing, but I do believe that the calculator will make you lose math skills. On the other hand, I see no problem with the web. The web is not a bad thing because, like the calculator, we will always have it. However, I also don’t see how we could forget anything while using the web. I believe that because when we are searching the web we are always retrieving information. We are always reading and learning. I can’t think of anytime when I am relying on the web to do something for me. I am always doing the work. I feel that technology is a great thing, and the more we get use out of it, the better off we are.
Christian Lavoie

2 comments:

  1. I am always in favor of calculators, however last semester my math teacher would not let the class use a calculator. he even went so far as to say he taught in a first grade and took away their number lines because they just aided in memorizing not actually learning. So i see your point here.
    Kelsey Coughlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have noticed that while using a calculator my math skills decline. Seeing as how a calculator was put here to make things easier I feel as though if you learn how to do math without and then begin using it, there is nothing wrong. I think the problem comes when you don't have the basic foundation skills and automatically skip to using the calculator. I think when used properly the internet is a great tool, as long as you know how to use other tools as well.
    Nikki Gaspari

    ReplyDelete