Pages

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Communication Breakdown


            In Carr’s book he makes a lot of fuss about the internet and the direction that the world may be headed in because of it.  One thing that he and many other people are concerned about is how social networking websites will affect our ability to really communicate with other people and make real acquaintances.  While these dangers may be true for some who strictly use the internet to have social interactions I believe that many people balance their use of social networking and actual social interactions very well and there are many ways that people can and have used the internet to actual help their social world.
            One of the amazing things about the popular social networking websites that we use today is that so many people have become a part of them.  For several adults this is a very useful tool for getting in touch with old friends.  I know that my mother has gotten in touch with several of her old high school and college classmates through Facebook and she has personally told me that if it were not for Facebook she probably never would have interacted with these people again.  Facebook not only reunites old friends and colleagues but it can also be a great way to stay in touch with current friends and family.  My extended family all originally lived around the western New York area but since then has spread all around the country.  I am living in Massachusetts, I have aunts, uncles, and grandparents living around North Carolina, I have cousins in Florida, more relatives in California, and then there is still some family left in New York.  When most of my family lived in New York it was easy for my family to take a trip there once a year to visit them but we would have to travel all across the country to visit family now.  Facebook helps us keep in touch with family that we otherwise would rarely see or communicate with.  With Facebook I can now just jump on my computer and leave a message on my cousin’s wall if I want to ask him anything.
            The internet is being seen too often as a communication barrier by many “experts.”  If used correctly, I believe that the internet could potentially take over as the only form of communication, besides face-to-face.  The internet can stream high definition television which could potentially help it to overtake cable and satellite companies; you can talk through the internet so the phone companies will have to deal with that, even gps companies are going to have their work cut out for them because the internet is capable of guiding you to your destinations too.  I have already seen some instances where the internet has become a main device for communication.  Actually, this week my parents are going on a trip to Montreal and they informed me not to contact them through phone because of the extra charges, instead they told me that we could talk through the internet because they have free wireless internet.  The internet is not only becoming extremely convenient, but it is affordable for many people around the globe.  The experts should not be so concerned that the internet will become a barrier for communication, but more concerned a monopoly of communication.  With the technology of internet on the move the limitations of the internet have seemingly ended and all other forms of media and communication have to be looking over their shoulders.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I feel as though social networking is a great tool for keeping in touch with distant friends/relatives. If one can monitor their use I don't see how it impedes on communication.
    Nikki Gaspari

    ReplyDelete