Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Drifting Off

The whole point of Carr's the Shallows is how the internet is changing our brains. The main way that Carr sees our minds changing is that we have shorter attention spans. I definitely agree. I often find myself easily distracted when trying to work. Even while reading the Shallows I get off course pretty often. A lot of the time I will be reading and Carr will mention something about getting distracted and it will remind me of a time I got distracted online. Then i will get lost in a completely random train of thought. I will think about what I was doing at the time, what distracted me and why it distracted me. Then I'll just keep thinking about other stuff that progresses out of the first thing. These completely random trains of thought will go on for a few minutes then I'll realize I have no idea what I've been reading. Then I'll have to go back through the pages to find the last thing I'm sure I read. It makes the reading kind of annoying because I have to reread a few times. Carr makes a good point about how the internet allows us to be distracted and inefficient.
-Rich D.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. It's so easy for me to get distracted while reading and I will think about random things, then have to end up re-reading the last paragraph becuase I can't recall what I've read.

    --Jill Zalewski

    ReplyDelete