Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Kindle

Nicolas Carr has so many arguments about books going digital. Some of them are fairly negative. However, I have to say I'm not a hater on the fad of digital books. I love my kindle and don't see what all the controversy is about. It's very convenient and I can take it almost anywhere with me in my purse. Sometimes I even have to strain my eyes to read with some regular books. In my Kindle I can make the font bigger. I don't ever think real books will disappear even with the Kindle in the mix. The Kindle has so much to offer and I'm loving it. I can put loads of books onto one tablet just like an I pod.  I pods have replaced CD's and that has made even less talk then the controversy over digital books. Sometimes I just don't see where Nicholas Carr is coming from with all the hating over digital books. They come with a default dictionary so when  users click on a word it brings the definition up for them. They come with an online book store so when I need to grab a book for school its right there. It also holds mp3s. I have to say when I got my Kindle I never thought i was going to like it because I like the physical action of turning pages but I have been converted. Some of the push to go digital is about money but today what isn't about money? I actually on my Kindle find it easier to concentrate then with reading a regular book. I have been able to read larger quantities of books then I have been able to read with out losing concentration with physical books. I hope in some way this proves Nicholas Carr wrong about the ability to concentrate and about how pieces of mediums get in the way of daily living. Although he does talk positively about the Kindle in some parts i don't think that's his actual opinion but only a mere description about the make up of the Kindle. Kindle is a great invention and it is another way Amazon.com has made a name for itself which is a quite clever business tactic. Although on the downside Kindle's other competition is the Nook which is sold mainly through Barnes and Noble. The bookstore. I assume the profits from Nook would go to Barnes and Noble. I'm not sure which is more popular the Nook or the Kindle. However with the profits so high from the Kindle i can see where some of the controversy from book stores and libraries come from about books. However, I will remain an avid Kindle lover. (and maybe advocate too.)  
Kelsey Coughlin

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! I don't think the digitalization of books is something to be worried about. In a lot of cases, the Kindle or Nook could be really helpful, especially with the font options. I think its all about personal preference. Putting book/articles on the Internet could be very useful. I often find that I like to read articles on my smartphone when I am waiting for a class, on the bus, etc. I think it helps to keep people better informed.
    Kaitlyn Carcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree the digitalization of books should be allowed. Just like mp3 can be bought online they should just make it so that you can buy books and access them via internet anywhere.
    -Clifford McKeon

    ReplyDelete