Pages

Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Connections

Carr has mentioned how books have become more useful in particular ways verse reading from a tablet, or kindle. Which goes along with a general idea I see in the book, that the Internet has become a form of distraction. Reading articles online is difficult with all types of advertisements popping up.  Which is very similar to writing essay and papers or blogs like this one. There are so many things to grab my attention, different tabs, ads and the works. For instance watching Hulu while writing this blog.  Its obvious that my attention isn’t completely on this paper, but for others who don’t know. I can surf the net, write a sentence, then surf the net again. Can’t really determine my work. I think, like Carr’s does, that reading off electronic devices doesn’t allow you to get lost in a book. Where’s when your writing on a computer there are the same distances, rather than brainstorming and writing paper in a notebook in a quite setting.  I’m kind of going out on a limb here but I think how often we use the Internet, and how it’s changed our attention. We develop habits, of doing multiple things at one, and not being able to give one specific thing with our undivided attention. Maybe these new habits have led to the outbreak diagnoses of ADD and ADHD. Although ADD and ADHD are usually genetically passed down there seems to be a higher incidence in the last decade. We develop these habits, unaware the perhaps parents decide their kids aren’t meeting their full potential in school.  Kids take test to determine the results.  After reading more I’m not surprised of the connection between ADD and the usage of the rapid Internet growth.
By Allison Saffie

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree because everytime i go to write a paper, i have to write it in a notebook first so i dont get too distracted by everything else on my computer.
    -kim fairweather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of laughed when I read this because I can definitely relate. When I am writing a paper, I often write a paragraph and then check Facebook or Twitter and then go back to writing my paper. It never really effects my actual writing. The short-term distraction actually helps me. I am a multi-tasker and I almost need to be doing multiple things at once to function. The internet almost helps me satisfy this need.
    -Bridget Meehan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I do the same exact thing while trying to write a paper or something.. I'll write a few sentences then go back to Facebook, for example. Also, I agree with you in the sense that it's so hard to focus on reading something that's online or on an e-reader versus a paperback book.

    Jill Zalewski

    ReplyDelete