Pages

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Watch where you're going!

Now that technology is so advanced, we are able to carry it around with us constantly. It takes on the form of a laptop or maybe a phone. Laptops usually require you to be settled and sitting, but the phone is where it gets dangerous.

People get so absorbed in the whole "technology in the palm of my hands" idea, that they don't even know where they are going. Constantly I see people walking looking down at their phones, and never looking up before they get to their destination. Sometimes this method works, and other times you are the unfortunate person who gets bumped into.

It is not that to keep your phone in your pocket for appx. 3 mins while you travel to your class. When you are off examining your phone, you are the one who makes others late due to the fact that you become an obstacle in their attempt to get to class on time.

I realize that having everything you need at the tips of your fingers is exciting, but wait until you are stationary to start taking advantage of it. People think texting and driving is dangerous, well so is texting and walking. You could walk into a person, walk into a pole or wall, and even step directly into a puddle on rainy days like today.

So please, before you text and walk, think of all the embarrassing things that could happen along the way. All of which could be avoided if you just wait to use your phone.

~Nicole VanKuilenburg

6 comments:

  1. I would say that the issue is not in the technology, but rather the user.
    -Brian Andersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a funny point, and I defiantly agree. People become careless in the way they use phones, and everything else. Although it is the user like Brain said, still with this constantly updated technology it’s hard to not become caught up in it. Its funny to because I know I use to become so caught up with my phone, you lose focus on what and who’s around you. I'd much rather appreciate and take in a nice day and a few smiles from people who hold the door for you, than read a text I can at anytime. ( and avoid falling in a water fountain!) Plus it can be dangerous, just like texting and driving! That drives me nuts out of all the crazy things I've seen people do while driving, I strongly believe texting is one of the worst!

    By Allison Saffie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definately agree with this too. My friends will be texting and walking all the time, and occationally they walk into someone or something. Once I had to stop a friend who was texting and walking accross the crosswalk. It would have been an accident waiting to happen for the car was flying down the road. So just like driving and texting, walking while texting can cause accidents too!

    Jacque Rideout

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember one time on the bus going to class, my phone was dead. I have never sat through a bus ride that seemed so long- pretty sad.I noticed today on the bus that literally...every person around me had their heads down looking at a cellphone, ipod, or laptop. People literally do not put their phones down while walking to class, I know I am always looking at mine....Refreshing my facebook or twitter pages even though I just did two minutes before...

    Kaleigh Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Brian. The user is really the problem here, although the attributes of a cell-phone could contribute to the way the person acts.

    -Jill Zalewski

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a creative piece, and quit amusing.

    -Britney V

    ReplyDelete