Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Progression of Social Media

Back when I was in middle school, junior high maybe, the most popular thing to be doing on the computer was to be on AIM. We would change our screen names like once a week and it was just a fun way to communicate because it was new and exciting. That's the first thing I think of when I think back the farthest I can in relation to being online. Then a few years later came Myspace, which I don't even think exists anymore, it's mainly for music. I remember going posting pictures, changing the song and layout on your profile, that was also something so new and everyone had one. Being this age, we all saw the start of the internet and the start of social media sites developing and becoming more and more popular.
However, now people don't use AIM and Myspace, but we use multiple different social networking sites. I personally, have a Facebook, a Twitter, and an Instagram. I would have to say my favorite out of the three is Twitter, and I least likely will spend time on Facebook. Facebook is one of things that everyone has but everyone also says they hate.. which doesn't make a lot of sense. I think that too many adults, parents, and relatives got Facebook's so people our age started to get Twitter's and Instagram's so we don't have to watch what we say or post.
To think that we were around when social networking sites started to become popular and then see it now, we don't even have one thing to log into everyday, we have 3.. even 4 or 5, if you use viddy, or gifture. I wonder what new things will come out in the next few years... let alone the next few months. It seems like I always hear of a new site, or app, people are getting, and then suddenly everyone has one. People need to feel included and in the loop of things so when a new social networking site becomes popular, some people feel obligated to get it as well.
-Michele Lemieux

No comments:

Post a Comment