Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 6, 2012

instant gratification and the web

When I finally reflect on carr after reading the final end of the Shallows I can't say I agree with him on most topics. I heard from frontline that 90% of teenagers are on the web at any given time but I think he forgets about the one trait that drives all humans. Instant graitification. It drives us all. I think even more when we connect to the internet. if we want to connect with our friends we can online and through wifi on our phones. We know intimate details about our friends at any given time. if we want to shop. My prime motivator and we just saw something we want in a magizine we no longer need to go out to the stores and buy it we can just go into our home office or basement and buy it with one click. Some web sites even take advantage of this. Some products like for example mac cosmetics are only available online. They know and understand its a weakness because computers are very accessable and if we want some and have the accessibilty to get it we probably will. even bridal showers and baby showers sometimes more than half their registry is from off line. To be honest sometimes its more convient to just buy off line off the rejestry because the company will ship the gift to the bride or expectant mother's house. They know convience is America's weakness. Just look at music. i only download my music. I haven't bought a cd in like 5 years. movies are becoming rarer for me to buy too. even though I am an avid movie lover instead of having to pay $20.00 at Barnes and nobles or best buy for a movie now I can just buy it from cinema now and stream it onto my tv. I don't think ultimately the internet is making us dumber although sometimes after completing two ten page papers in one day after staring at a screen, I feel like a zombie. but I still disagree with Carr's point I don't think the internent is making us stupid i think in the long run it just caters to our needs of convience and instant gratification. making us a little more less motivated but other than that I can't find any other reason that the internet is out to get me.
Kelsey Coughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment